Dorothy Caldwell : In Place - in Italy 2017
Dorothy Caldwell : In Place - in Italy 2017
In Place: Observing, Recording, Making
Place is where we are right now. Observing......In this workshop, part of the day will be spent outside experiencing place through tuning into your senses and carrying out exercises in collecting, walking, mapping, sitting, listening, and touching.
Dates: 25th-29th September Booking Fee: £50
Venue: Puglia, Southern Italy at the Masseria della Zingara
The course is a 5 day course and the fee varies, based on your accommodation, arrival date and departure date. This can be arranged and the deposit paid by contacting Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dorothy is a graduate of Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia and maintains an active international exhibition and teaching schedule. She has carried out research in Japan, India, Australia, the Canadian Arctic on textile traditions and is the recipient of grants and awards including the prestigious Bronfman Award given to one Canadian craftsperson each year. Her work is included in many permanent collections including the American Museum of Art and Design; Canadian Museum of Civilization; The Carlton and Reta Lewis collection in Washington, D.C.; The Canadian Consulate in Bangkok, Thailand; and the International Quilt Museum and Study Center University of Nebraska.
Dorothy’s web site
ABOUT THE COURSE
Recording....We will examine how as artists we collect and record information that builds a base for studio work.
Small handmade journals will be constructed and used for recording.
Making.... Back in the studio, these experiences, recordings, and collections will be translated onto cloth and paper through stitching, rubbings, dyeing, stencils and other methods.
Participants should be prepared to spend time outside as well as in the studio.
There are plenty of local interest to walk to, just around the corner, or further away, to visit daily depending where your curiosity lies!
One thing the workshop is being built around, is having the participants select and mark out a 2' x 2' square of land that they will visit daily. Each day there will be a theme focusing on different ways of examining their piece of land...ie one day the theme will be the minute and up close... looking up close drawing using magnifying glass, photographing, writing etc ....another day how it fits into the larger landscape. These will then be translated in to stitching back in the studio.
Participants List of Thing To Bring and Think About
- A few written sentences on what your focus will be for the week. This could be in the form of a question.
- Materials for the work you've decided to concentrate on
- Things to create a rich studio environment for yourself to work in and to give others a better understanding of your interests. These could include objects, photographs, books, whatever relates to your interests
- 5 x 5Please bring 5 Digital images for a 5 minute presentation on your work in general or one aspect of your work that you are presently concentrating on. Out of respect for the other participants, please stick to the time limit (there will be time throughout the week to talk more). You may bring images on a memory stick, on your own tablet or laptop or actual work.
- Ideas about your personal studio rituals, work habits, how to keep up the momentum etc. (for group discussion)
- There will be two excursions included in the course fee to explore local sites, and feed your curiosity and give you choice.
- There will also be a supplies fee for the supplies provided.
Please note :
It is important to wear sturdy, flat, rubber-soled sensible shoes with good support.
At the end of each day we will have book sharing. This can be a book of your choice or can be selected from a reading list that will be supplied closer to the workshop time. Please bring this book with you.
ABOUT THE MASSERIA
INCLUDED IN COURSE
Collection from airport Bari or Brindisi and return to airport.
(free of charge from designated flight. If we collect you from a different flight or from the train station there will be a charge.)
Breakfast, a light lunch, and dinner including wine, at the Masseria.
Transport to and from two local visits, leaving you free time to explore! Dinner is not provided on these two evenings out.
Use of all our facilities, swimming pool, bicycles etc
Meals when not at the Masseria (two)
Entry fees to monuments (if any)
Drinks whilst out of the Masseria
Supplies provided for use in the Studio. There will be a fee for materials provided